Overview: Beacon Residential Management (BRM) employs a Centralized Compliance department (CC) to work with Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties with 100 or less LIHTC apartments and/or properties that have part-time managers. CC provides front-line services to the property to alleviate the burden of file processing, tracking of compliance controls, and reporting. “Front-line” work comprises processes that would normally be conducted by site staff, including but not limited to sending and receiving verification forms, computing income, completing certification paperwork, Yardi data-entry, report maintenance, and electronic file preservation. Additionally, the CC department conducts file approvals and ongoing compliance monitoring for BRM properties who do not meet the model for front-line processing.
Beacon’s CC Department also offers front-line and monitoring services to external clients. As of 2020, there are seven external clients contracted with CC.
General Statement of Duties: Responsibilities include implementation and ongoing preservation of corporate standards for quality assurance, internal controls, reporting, and audit preparation with particular emphasis on CC- monitored properties. Protects Owner’s interests by ensuring compliance with federal and state programs, including but not limited to Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Section 8, Public Housing, HUD etc. for CC properties and throughout company portfolio, and as assigned.
Supervision Received: Reports to Vice President of Compliance
Supervision Exercised: No supervisory duties required.
Essential Functions of the Position: Note: responsibilities are relevant to CC and properties assigned to work with CC.
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties that may be found in positions of this class.)
- Receiving, tracking, reviewing & approval of submitted files from internal properties and external properties as assigned in keeping with time sensitive occupancy requirements.
- Assists in the development, implementation and maintenance of Central Compliance processes, procedures and documentation, including oversight of all internal contracts (Beacon properties).
- In times of high volume, assist COS staff with file processing in accordance with CC processing guidelines, processes income certifications/recertifications for multiple affordable housing programs and updates Yardi database.
- Conducts internal quality assurance audits and file reviews, including all move-in and annual recertification file review/approval for internal (Beacon-owned/managed) and external (contract) properties, may include properties not working with CC.
- Conducts monthly meetings with assigned properties to review past, current and future certifications to keep move-in and annual certifications “on track.”
- Participation in COS Committee and committee-related projects
- Plans, prepares materials and conducts training for onboarding of new COS/Property staff working with Central Compliance
- Assists with oversight of external consulting contracts
- Monitor regulatory agreements to ensure compliance
- Develops and oversees internal reporting controls, including monthly compliance matrices, tracking occupancy rules to ensure ongoing program compliance and communicates property status to Director.
- Participates in strategic planning and implementation of compliance measures for newly acquired properties or those properties converting to tax credit.
- Coordinate the set up and gathers the proper documentation needed to assist and guide the property staff during the takeover and/or conversion process.
- Assists with standardizing and maintaining monthly reporting requirements to external entities
- Prepares annual compliance reports as required by state agencies
- Assists with audit coordination, oversight and response
- Fosters a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents, communities and associated agencies.
- Department goals- works with team to progress and achieve goals
- Assist in the administration of ShareFile – the system used to store and transfer files between properties and CC
- Enforces and adheres to company policies, rules and regulations
- Assists with communication of updates and program changes to field personnel
- Works patiently, professionally and cooperatively with residents and staff
- Attends compliance-related continuing education seminars
- Special projects, as assigned by Supervisor
Education: Associate’s Degree or equivalent knowledge or expertise.
Experience: Minimum five years of experience with the LIHTC and other housing programs. Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS) designation required. C3P designation. Public Housing experience and COS-P. Requires professional knowledge of government subsidy regulations and COS expertise gained through experience and education.
Qualifications and Skills: Strong interpersonal skills. Analytical and conceptual skills with proven problem solving skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Yardi. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, self-motivated, flexible, creative and detail oriented. Familiarity with housing agency regulations and related terminology. Ability to handle emergency situations and pressure due to complexity and time-sensitivity. Ability to be an active team member within the Company. Preserves and respects resident and applicant confidentiality. Willingness to travel as needed.
Travel requirements: May occasionally visit properties and attend offsite meetings/ training seminars.
Beacon Core Competencies: Teamwork, Integrity/Ethics, Dependability, Customer Focus, Adaptability/Flexibility.Back to All Careers