Overview: Beacon Residential Management (BRM) employs a Centralized Compliance department (CC) to monitor properties governed by the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program. In addition to providing support, monitoring and file approvals, CC also provides front-line services to smaller properties to alleviate the burden of file processing, tracking of compliance controls, and reporting. “Front-line” work comprises processes that would normally be conducted by site staff, including but not limited to sending and receiving verification forms, computing income, completing certification paperwork, Yardi data-entry, report maintenance, and electronic file preservation.
Beacon’s CC Department also offers front-line and monitoring services to external clients. Currently, CC operates out of a processing center in Haverhill, Massachusetts.
General Statement of Duties: Responsibilities include implementation and ongoing preservation of corporate standards for quality assurance, internal controls, reporting, and audit preparation with particular emphasis on CC- monitored properties. Protects Owner’s interests by ensuring compliance with federal and state programs, including but not limited to Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Section 8, Public Housing, HUD etc. for CC properties and throughout company portfolio, and as assigned.
Supervision Received: Reports to Vice President of Compliance.
Supervision Exercised: Supervision of CC department staff (currently a department of six)
Essential Functions of the Position:
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties that may be found in positions of this class.)
Central Compliance supervision/oversight
- Responsible for oversight of Central Compliance department including internal conversions & lease ups, external contract oversight, processes, procedures, documentation, staffing, contracts, budgets, billing.
- Conduct and oversee training (individual and group) for CC functions and generally for Beacon, as assigned
- Integrate new properties to Central Compliance processes through training, documentation and mentoring
- Maintain a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents, communities and associated agencies.
- Provide highest standard of customer service to all customers (internal and external) and trains staff to do the same.
- Responsible for decisions regarding files/households where eligibility is questionable and/or close to income limit.
- Oversight of ShareFile administration and all technological tools employed for Central Compliance
- Oversee and participate in monthly meetings with CC properties to review past, current and future certifications to keep move-in and annual certifications “on track” and ensure overall compliance is reviewed with site staff
- Assign staff to act as project managers for consulting contract(s) and internal initiatives (lease-ups, etc.)
- Monitor regulatory agreements to ensure compliance for all internal and contract properties
- Develop and oversee internal reporting controls, including monthly compliance matrices, tracking occupancy rules to ensure ongoing program compliance.
- Develop, maintain and adhere to department budget.
- Prepare annual compliance reports as required by state agencies
- Develop new business, including marketing, networking and outreach
- Develop pricing strategies and write proposals for contract work
- Present proposals to ownership entities, partners and potential clients
- Negotiate and write external consulting contracts (with approval from General Counsel). Provide detailed oversight of annual contract renewals; work with risk management group on every contract to reduce Beacon’s exposure in liability and/or errors and omissions.
- Develop staff potential and growth through collaboration, teaching, mentoring and assessment
- Evaluate and update job descriptions; communicate expectations and measure performance through one-on-one meetings, quarterly meetings and ongoing supervision
- Foster a positive working environment for staff in CC office and remote staff working with CC
- Project, plan and communicate staffing needs based on growth and/or changing business needs
- Work with HR/Learning Dept. to provide on-site training and re-training of COS-related personnel. Develop training methods, tracking and evaluation tools.
- Determine department goals – work with team to ensure progress and achievement
- Participation and involvement with industry organizations and agencies for learning and exposure.
- Participation in due diligence activities for BRM, including oversight and execution of such activities
- Enforce and adhere to company policies, rules and regulations.
- Oversight for internal audits and file reviews, including all move-in and annual recertification file review/approval for internal (Beacon-owned/managed) and external (contract) properties.
- Assist with strategic planning and implementation of compliance measures at newly acquired properties, including lease-up activity at new properties
- Standardize and oversee monthly reporting requirements to internally or to external entities
- Assist with audit coordination, oversight and response
- Attend compliance-related continuing education seminars
- Present to senior executives, BRM Committee or other leadership group on areas under purview that warrant reporting/information or as directed.
- Special projects, as assigned by supervisor
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent knowledge or expertise.
Experience: Minimum of five years of related work experience including supervisory experience. Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS) designation required. Minimum five years of Tax Credit experience. C3P designation or equivalent. Public Housing experience and COS-P preferred. Requires professional knowledge of government subsidy regulations and COS expertise gained through experience and education.
Qualifications and Skills: Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to lead a team and maintain high level of employee engagement. Professional personal presentation and public speaking presentation skills. Analytical and conceptual skills with proven problem-solving skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Yardi. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, self-motivated, flexible, creative and detail oriented. Familiarity with housing agency regulations and related terminology. Ability to handle emergency situations and pressure due to complexity and time-sensitivity. Strong decision making and demonstrated accountability for actions. Ability to be an active team member within the Company. Preserves and respects resident and applicant confidentiality. Willingness to travel to visit properties and attend offsite meetings/training seminars.
Beacon Core Competencies: Teamwork, Integrity/Ethics, Dependability, Customer Focus, Adaptability/Flexibility.Back to All Careers