General Statement of Duties: Responsible for the property’s maintenance and facilities operations to enhance the value of the community. Supervises maintenance staff. Maintains property’s equipment and machinery. Develops and adheres to maintenance budget and expenditures.
Supervision Received: Reports to Property Manager.
Supervision Exercised: Supervises direct reports as assigned.
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Essential Functions of the Position: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties that may be found in positions of this class.)
- Supervises maintenance staff and serves as company representative with contractors, vendors, inspectors, city officials, and temporary staff. Coordinates and assists with training maintenance staff.
- Schedules and assists with daily operations (service orders, repaints/re-carpets, apartment turnovers, etc.).
- Performs various maintenance functions as needed, including minor repairs that do not require the need for a license in the following areas: electrical, plumbing, appliances, flooring, carpentry, painting, and heating/air issues.
- Completes minor repairs and improvements in vacant units for market ready status in a timely manner.
- Performs general carpentry duties such as wallboard repair, countertop/cabinet replacement, finish carpentry, window/glass repair, door/lock repair, and ceramic tile repair. Assists with vinyl floor, cove and wall base installation.
- Reviews and tracks progress of service orders.
- Schedules and participates in emergency on-call shifts and after-hours maintenance.
- Monitors inventory and purchases of maintenance supplies. Prepares purchase orders, requisitions, and contracts for maintenance equipment, supplies and services.
- Develops and adheres to maintenance budget. Authorizes maintenance expenditures.
- Conducts apartment and property inspections.
- Assists with the development and/or updating of Capital Needs Assessment.
- Monitors completion of preventive maintenance schedule.
- Oversees and assists with trash and snow removal.
- Assists with keeping contractor COIs and Service Agreements up to date.
- Oversees capital projects. Creates work scopes and contracts as needed.
- Holds maintenance staff accountable, gives feedback, and takes corrective action as needed.
- Oversees the safeguarding of company equipment, materials, common areas, mechanical rooms, and vacant apartments.
- Assists in minimizing energy and utility usage.
- Assists office staff as needed.
- Assists at other Beacon properties as requested by Supervisors or Managers
- Communicates with property management on a daily basis
- Maintains decorating replacement schedules. Oversees and schedules unit and common area painting.
- Schedules and coordinates exterior siding repairs, emergency roof repairs and minor repairs to HVAC.
- Picks up and delivers supplies using company vehicle or personal vehicle.
- Preserves and respects resident and applicant confidentiality.
- Fosters a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents, communities and associated agencies.
- Enforces and adheres to company policies, rules, safety practices, and regulations.
- Participates in and completes training seminars and on-line trainings as requested.
- Maintains the work order system prioritizing, delegating, and scheduling work as needed. Creates and update/closes work orders on both a computer and a tablet.
- Checks emails regularly and respond as needed on a timely basis.
Education, Training and Experience: Any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described including related building or property maintenance supervisory work experience. Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician preferred. Designated certifications for property type where required.
Qualifications and Skills: Knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use of hand tools and small power tools. Must be computer proficient. Ability to supervise maintenance staff. Must possess neat and orderly work habits. Maintains a valid driver’s license. Possesses adequate knowledge of plumbing, electrical, carpentry and heating standard practices. Professional demeanor and solid interpersonal skills. Ability to handle emergency and pressure sensitive situations due to complexity and time sensitivity when resolving problems. Must be bi-lingual in Spanish.
Physical Capabilities: Must live within 30 minutes of the property. Candidate must be able to lift 50 pounds, climb and work on ladders, work with arms raised over head, stand/walk for long periods of time, climb stairs, bend at waist and knees to lift boxes, appliances, furniture, shovel snow, etc.
Beacon Core Competencies required for all positions:
Teamwork, Integrity/Ethics, Dependability, Customer Focus, Adaptability/Flexibility.
Beacon Management Competencies required for Management positions:
Decision-Making / Judgement, Communication, Budgets/Cost Control, Managing for Results, People Development.
Beacon Maintenance Supervisor Competencies required:
Job Knowledge, Problem Solving/Analysis, Work Environment Safety, Planning, Interpersonal Skills.
Beacon Communities LLC seeks a diverse pool of candidates. We are committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other protected class.
Back to All Careers