The Resident Service Coordinator (RSC) assists residents to maintain successful tenancies and improve their quality of life by providing a combination of information and referral to services along with useful and engaging onsite programming.
- EDUCATOR – The RSC informs residents about service availability, how to apply for services and benefits, understanding consumer rights, and other relevant issues.
- COMMUNITY BUILDER – The RSC recognizes the impact of the social environment and the importance of developing a sense of community to improve on individuals’ health and well-being. The RSC helps build a sense of community among all residents living in the community.
- LIAISON – The RSC acts as a liaison between residents and Management, community-based agencies, and/or regional government entities (Social Security Administration, Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs, etc.); Resident Service Coordinators work with Management staff, eldercare service providers, behavioral/mental health care and medical care professionals to resolve issues together while keeping information confidential.
- SERVICE FACILITATOR – The RSC establishes links to community agencies and service providers, provides basic case management and referral services and monitors the ongoing provision of services from outside agencies.
General Statement of Duties:
- Program Development/Coordination
- Resident Compliance Issues
- Resident Referrals and Direct Assistance
- Assists in developing the Beacon Wellness Program at the property focusing on elderly/disabled residents. Coordinates Wellness Program components, including but not limited to: Fitness, Nutrition, Mental Health support, Meals Program, Home Healthcare, Cultural Arts programming, computer learning, socialization and other programming specific to the residential community.
- Assists in developing programming the addresses self-sufficiency issues such as Money Management, Parenting Skills/Support, Job Readiness and Youth Enrichment/After-School programming.
- Reports on programming in Yardi and other database formats.
- Assesses, counsels, recommends and/or resolves resident issues impacting resident’s personal life, health and well-being, and refers residents to suitable community services, resources and Entitlement Programs as appropriate.
- Acts as liaison with onsite clinic nurse (if applicable), local care providers and hospitals to ensure successful discharge from care facilities and return transition of residents to their apartments.
- Works cooperatively with residents and their families when planning for relocation to a nursing home or other long-term care facility if required.
- Documents all interactions regarding provision of assistance to residents in Yardi on a weekly basis.
- Provides crisis intervention to residents and responds to security incident reports.
- Addresses business critical functions impacting property’s net operating income (NOI) working directly with Property Manager to address and resolve lease compliance issues such as late rent, housekeeping, security, illegal activity, and unauthorized occupants.
- Resolves conflict and complex issues among residents, family members and neighbors.
- Processes Reasonable Accommodation requests for residents with disabilities.
- Participates in joint annual apartment inspections with Property Manager and/or Maintenance; follows up on any referrals from inspections such as housekeeping and hoarding issues, presence of unauthorized occupants, smoking in apt. etc.
- Builds a sense of community by providing programs that engage residents and promote socialization.
- Fosters a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents, local government, non-profit agencies, social service providers, hospitals, healthcare organizations, colleges/universities and representatives of the greater community.
- Ensures that there is a current “Resident Resource Directory” for residents to access.
- Prepares Resident Services Quarterly Update Report and maintains documentation on services provided and issues addressed with residents.
- Assists Property Manager with preparation of Quality Assurance (QA) Review as required by HUD.
- Meets with the Resident Block/Building/Floor Captains, Neighborhood Watch representatives’ and/or community police liaison on monthly basis to review site issues and review reports about any concerning activity on the property.
- Collaborates with Resident /Tenant Council organizations to increase community participation, welcoming new residents to the property.
- Attends Property Management/RSC meetings and/or staff meetings as required.
- Enforces and adheres to company policies, rules and regulations.
- Preserves and respects resident and applicant confidentiality.
Community Programming Responsibilities:
- Develops and coordinates monthly resident programs- in collaboration with other staff and volunteers as necessary.
- Ensures that Service Agreements and Certificates of Insurance (COI’s) are in place for provision of services and programming by outside providers and vendors.
- Collaborates with Connected Living-computer access program for seniors (i.e. monthly calls, integrating Connected Living with all wellness activities, monthly calendar, and surveys)
- Creates monthly calendar and property newsletter with input from PM and other staff as required.
- Provides documentation that demonstrates participation levels in all programs and activities.
- Evaluates program impact through use of pre- and post- surveys, testing and other methods as may be useful to the evaluation process.
Supervision Received: Directly reports to the Property Manager. May receive some supervision from the Area Resident Services Manager (ARSM) and mentoring and guidance from a Senior Resident Service Coordinator (Sr. RSC).
Supervision Exercised: Supervises Assistant Resident Service Coordinator, if applicable. May supervise volunteers or interns.
Essential Functions of the Position: Any one position may not include all duties listed herein. Conversely, additional duties may be required that are specific to the individual site.
Education, Training and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work/Human Services, Psychology, Gerontology, Developmental Disabilities or related field and/or 3-5 years’ equivalent work experience assisting residents to address mental health issues, visual impairments and/or other disabilities in a Senior Housing/Multi-Family housing environment, or a private, non-profit social service organization. Experience working with the elderly and/or disabled service delivery system. Incumbent should have experience developing and implementing client or resident programs having a proven track record of networking and building partnerships.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Documentation and report writing experience
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Superior organizational ability
- Ability to work independently
- Crisis intervention skills
- Mediation/Conflict resolution skills
Knowledge and Abilities:
Incumbent should have related human services/social services experience possessing knowledge of the aging services network, aging processes, and eldercare service delivery system. Adequate knowledge of mental health issues, developmental disabilities, addictions, family issues, multicultural issues. Incumbent should be a self-starter with ability to work independently as well as work cooperatively with teams and resident committees. The ability to work patiently in an environment which can be challenging is crucial.
The ability to handle emergency/crisis situations and work well under pressure with regards to complex and time sensitive issues. Bilingual in English and dominant language of minority population in community i.e. Spanish, Cape Verdean, Haitian Creole, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, etc. is a plus.
Physical Capabilities: Ability to walk a ¼ mile without resting and ability to climb stairs.
Transportation: Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle to attend conferences, trainings and meetings at other properties as required.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday office hours. Evening and weekend hours may be required.
Beacon Communities LLC seeks a diverse pool of candidates. We are committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other protected class.Back to All Careers