General Statement of Duties: Performs maintenance duties necessary to maintain the physical condition and appearance of the property that will enhance the value of the community utilizing company operating and safety standards. Ensures that service requests and minor repairs are made correctly in a timely manner. Must live no more than 30 minutes from the property.
Supervision Received: Reports to Maintenance Supervisor.
Supervision Exercised: No supervisory duties required unless it is temporarily assigned.
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Essential Functions of the Position: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties that may be found in positions of this class.)
- Performs various maintenance functions including minor repairs that do not require the need for a license in the following areas: electrical, plumbing, appliances, flooring, carpentry, painting, heating/air issues.
- Completes minor repairs and improvements in vacant units for market ready status in a timely manner.
- Performs general carpentry duties such as wallboard repair, countertop/cabinet replacement, finish carpentry, window/glass repair, door/lock repair, and ceramic tile repair. Assists with vinyl floor, cove and wall base installation.
- Maintains equipment to function properly and comply with all safety standards.
- Monitor and organize inventory.
- Responsible for snow removal during any and all hours determined by the weather and designated by Supervisors and Managers.
- Assists with trash removal and keeping the grounds and common areas free of trash and debris.
- Performs emergency on-call service for after-hours maintenance-related issues as required.
- Performs assigned preventive maintenance duties and tasks.
- Assisting in the safeguarding of company equipment, materials, common areas, mechanical rooms, and vacant apartments.
- Assists in minimizing energy and utility usage.
- Assists cleaning staff and perform cleaning duties as required.
- Completes special projects as assigned by Maintenance Supervisor or Property Manager.
- Fosters a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents, communities and associated agencies. Works patiently, professionally and cooperatively with residents, vendors, contractors, inspectors, city officials, and staff.
- Enforces and adheres to company policies, rules and regulations.
- Assists office staff as needed.
- Assists at other Beacon properties as requested by Supervisors or Managers.
- Preserves and respects resident and applicant confidentiality.
- Participates in and completes training seminars and on-line trainings as requested.
- Create and update/close work orders on both a computer and a tablet.
- Check emails regularly and respond as needed on a timely basis.
Education, Training and Experience: Any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described including building or property maintenance work experience. Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician preferred. Two years property maintenance experience preferred.
Qualifications and Skills: Knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use of hand tools and small power tools. Must be computer proficient. Must be able to communicate clearly both verbally and written. Must possess neat and orderly work habits. Maintains a valid driver’s license. Possesses adequate knowledge of plumbing, electrical, and heating standard practices. Basic knowledge of general carpentry. Ability to handle emergency and pressure sensitive situations due to complexity and time sensitivity when resolving problems.
Physical Capabilities: Must live within 30 minutes of the property. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, climb and work on ladders, work with arms raised over head, stand/walk for long periods of time, climb stairs, bend at waist and knees to lift boxes, appliances, furniture, shovel snow, etc.
Beacon Core Competencies required for all positions:
Teamwork, Integrity/Ethics, Dependability, Customer Focus, Adaptability/Flexibility.
Maintenance Technician Competencies required:
Job Knowledge, Problem Solving/Analysis, Work Environment Safety, Planning, Interpersonal Skills, Communication.
Equal Opportunity EmployerBack to All Careers